Sunday, March 2, 2014

Cast, In Order of Disappearance by Simon Brett review

This is the first in the Charles Paris series of mysteries, and the first I've read.  It was first published in 1975, and takes place around the same time. 

Charles Paris is an amiable actor, who drinks a lot.  He is often out of work, and is a womanizer.  He manages to stay on good terms with his estranged wife, his married daughter, and his ex-lovers. In this story Paris is convinced by a young friend (and ex-lover) to approach her current love to return some photos, and ends up involved in a blackmail scheme and a death.

Paris is too easy-going for his own good, and because of this ends up in trouble of one sort or another. He is also fairly intelligent, but still does things against his better judgement because of his amiable nature. I rather like this about him. 

It was an interesting book, and I enjoyed it. I plan to read others in the series.  I am also going to read a book or two in other mystery series that Brett writes.

This fulfills part of the 2014 Vintage Mystery BINGO  Silver--L--Book with Amateur Detective

2 comments:

  1. I've read a few of the Charles Paris books--but all before I started blogging, so I don't have any real reviews (or good memory) of them. They were good enough that I've picked up a few more for my TBR stacks...so that's a good sign.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the Charles Paris book, but then I read another book in a different series by Brett, about Mrs. Pargater. I loved her. I will be reviewing it as soon as I can.

    ReplyDelete