Friday, November 6, 2015

More books read, July 1, August 30

I've read several other books over the summer, that were not part of my Mt. TBR Reading Challenge 2015.   I'm not going to write full reviews for them, but will just mention whether or not I liked it, with a few words to describe them.

Taylor, Phoebe Atwood--Diplomatic Corpse (bought 7/31/2015, read 8/3/2015).  Really liked this one!  This is the last in the Asey Mayo series, and has the Cape Cod ambience that really makes the books.

Frazer, Andrea--Choked Off (bought 7/29/2015, read 8/2/2015).  Another one I liked.  This is the second in the Falconer series.  The villagers are excited that a radio broadcaster will be reviewing their Arts festival, until he arrives in the village the day before the event.  He is not a nice person, and takes pleasure in hurting the people around him. When he is found dead, no one seems to be overly dismayed. However, DI Harry Falconer and his Sergeant, "Davey" Carmichael, are on the case.

Allingham, Margery--Coroner's Pidgin (bought 7/22/2015, read 7/23/2015).  I liked this, but not as much as some of her others. Albert Campion returns from several years overseas, and while refreshing himself in his apartment, he sees his servant, Lugg, entering the apartment with a Lady, and a woman's corpse.  Campion is then forced to detect, which he does with his usual skill.

Hamilton, Donald--Matt Helm-The Terminators (bought 7/9/2015, read 7/10/2015).  Liked this, really like the character and the style of the writing.  This is one of my favorite series from that era.

Bowers, Mary--Murder in Tropical Breeze (bought 7/6/2015, read 7/10/2015).  This one was okay, and I might try the second in the series, but I'm not really big on paranormal, although it wasn't too intrusive in this story, it still lessened my enjoyment a little.

Johns, Madison--High Seas Honeymoon (Bought 7/2/2015, read 7/2/2015).  This is the seventh in the series, and I thought it was just okay.  Agnes and Eleanor and their new husbands go on a honeymoon cruise, and find out that several of their friends and neighbors are also there.  Then they find a body, which disappears.

Rice, Craig--Murder, Mystery and Malone (borrowed 6/28/2015, read 7/3/2015).  A collection of a dozen stories, most of them featuring John J. Malone, a lawyer who claims he has never lost a case.  I thought this was pretty good, considering the limitations of short stories.  But then, I am a fan of the  1940s hard boiled detective stories, with a dash of screwball comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment