Saturday, December 6, 2014

Death in the Back Seat by Dorothy Cameron Disney review

First published in 1936, this is the first book I've read by Dorothy Cameron Disney.  She wrote 9 mysteries during her life, and this was the first.

The story had a lot of twists and turns, and seemed to be well-written.  It starts with a young couple leaving New York city for the country in Connecticut.  While there, they rent a small home from a wealthy local lady.

Before long, doing a favor for their landlady, they are involved in a murder.  The locals are all prepared to believe that somehow they are involved, as they are strangers to the area, and the victim was also from New York.

They proceed to investigate (not particularly well) and place themselves in danger several times before the criminal is finally discovered.

I have to say, I was a bit disappointed in this, as I started with such high expectations.  And for some reason, I had a lot of trouble retaining my interest in the story--I put it down multiple times over the last couple of weeks, forcing myself to continue.  Which is strange, as it has a fairly good plot, with a lot of twists, and there are other possible murders scattered about in the story, and seems to be well written.  It may have just been my mood, or the fact that I read it on the Kindle and it seemed to have more mistakes than I like--a little more editing would have been helpful--as I had to stop several times to figure out what I just read as some of the letters were changed--Jack became lack, for example, or seat became seal.

However, I didn't manage to figure out the entire solution, although I did have a suspicion or two about part of it.  That was a plus.  

This is part of my 2014 Vintage Mystery BINGO challenge--Golden--D--Read one book out of your comfort zone.

I am definitely not comfortable reading books with such poor editing, and had to force myself to finish it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment