Sunday, December 7, 2014

The Big Four by Agatha Christie review

Boy, I am so behind on writing my reviews!  I've read a ton of books over the last month, and haven't gotten very many of the reviews done yet.  I want to get them done by the end of the year, so I better hurry!

The Big Four was published in 1927.  While it is an Hercule Poirot novel, I really don't think it is one of the better ones.  When the story begins, Hastings is on his way to visit Poirot from South America where Hastings and his wife have been living, as a surprise.  When he arrives at Poirot's apartment, he finds that Poirot is just about to leave--he has been offered a great deal of money to investigate something in South America, and has decided to move there to be near Hastings, also as a surprise.

Before Poirot can leave, a man enters the apartment, and seems to be in a lot of distress.  He can't say more than Poirot's name and address, and when given paper he covers it with the number 4 many times.  When the Big Four is mentioned, the man starts talking about the Big Four who are 1) a Chinese mastermind named Li Chang Yen,  2)  Not named, but represented by $ and 2 stripes and a star, 3) a Frenchwoman, and 4) the destroyer.

Poirot and Hastings leave for a bit, and when they return the stranger is dead--murdered.  Poirot doesn't leave for South America, and they proceed to discover who the Big Four are, and to put them out of business.

While I usually like Poirot stories, this one just didn't seem to work for me.  I couldn't seem to get one thought out of my head--why play around with Poirot instead of just killing him?  Especially if they think he is the only one who could possibly figure everything out?

Basically, the story was okay, but not one of the better Poirot novels.  In fact, it is my least favorite of them all.

This is part of my 2014 Vintage Mystery BINGO Challenge--Golden--N--Size in Title.

It is also part of my Mt.TBR reading challenge, as I've had this in my TBR pile since July 28, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment