Sunday, January 10, 2021

Christmas Calamity at the Vicarage by Emilily Organ--review

 First published in 2019, this is an author I haven't read before.  This book features two older ladies, Mrs. Churchill, who thinks she is a wonderful detective, and her assistant, Miss Pemberley.  The main police presence is Inspector Mappin, who does his best to discourage the ladies.

The book is set in England, sometime after either World War 1 (or possibly World War 2-- I was never one hundred per cent sure). It includes several quirky English characters, including the two lady detectives. It takes place at the local Vicarage, which holds a yearly Christmas party to which the entire village is invited.  

After an argument with several people, including Mrs. Churchill, the local choirmaster is found murdered.  Mrs. Churchill is determined to solve the murder because she is one of the main suspects, and because she wants to show up the police.

 


I really thought I'd enjoy this story, as I love Agatha Christie mysteries, and the Miss Seeton books.  I expected this to be similar, with a more humorous slant. This was more of a parody, but not one that I felt was really fun. I found that, while reading this, I didn't really care if Mrs. Churchill solved the murder, or even if Inspector Mappin did.  I was disappointed in this book.

I might read one more in the series to see if I (or the author) was having an off day, but am not going to make any major effort to do so.

 

This counts for several of my reading challenges this year--the fourth book in both my Craving for Cozies Challenge,  and 2021 Reading Challenge. It is #2 on my MTR Challenge, bought in 2020.

In the Beachcombers Challenge, it satisfies Detectives, and Victims.


No comments:

Post a Comment