Monday, January 5, 2015

Saltmarsh Murders by Gladys Mitchell review


The Saltmarsh Murders was one of the early books by Gladys Mitchell, and was first published in 1932.  I had never heard of her until some of her books were offered on Amazon at a low price, and when I looked her up I thought I might enjoy her.

The recurring character is Beatrice Adela Lestrange Bradley, who is supposed to be psychoanalyst, and who solves the crime.  In this book, she seemed like a secondary character at the beginning, with the point of view of the book being described through the eyes of Noel Wells, local curate.  When Bradlely takes charge, things start happening, and at the end of the book she has solved the case.

There is a lot going on in this book--a maid who becomes pregnant, gives birth, and is murdered--a missing child--a crazy lady and her missing husband--and the local inn keepers with a secret. This book is full of colorful characters!

I bought this, along with several other Gladys Mitchell books 18 Dec 2014, and finished Jan 1, 2015.  Or maybe it was Jan. 2, as it was late, and I'm not sure what time it actually was.

This is part of my 2015 Mount TBR Reading Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment