Sunday, June 7, 2015

More short reviews of books I've read in the last couple of months

Archie Meets Nero by Robert Goldsborough.  This is a prequel to the Nero Wolfe series of books, written by the man who continued the series after Rex Stout's death.

I generally liked this book, even though I thought a lot of the regular characters were a little off.  I also thought the book felt a little rushed in a couple of places.  It does answer the question as to how Archie and Nero began working together, and it wasn't a bad read.

A Tine to Live, A Tine to Die by Edith Maxwell, is the first in A Local Foods Mystery series.  Cam Flaherty is laid off from her computer programming job, and takes over her uncle's farm when he can no longer run it.  She is in the process of turning it into a Certified Organic Farm, when she discovers her employee was going to use a pesticide.  She fires him, and shortly after she finds his body with a pitchfork in his chest. 

I liked the concept, and the story line was okay, but there were a couple of things that could have been improved.  The romance parts were not very intriguing, and it annoyed me that she didn't turn over evidence to the police.  However, it is a first book, so  I'll probably read the next one in the series.

The Curious Case of the Black Swan Song by Andrea Fraser.  After reading her Cocktail Mysteries, I thought I'd try another of her books, the first in the Holmes and Garden Mystery series.  It features a current imitator of Sherlock Holmes, and his assistant, John Garden.

I thought the book was fine, for the first in a series.  There were a several times I thought it needed a little something more, it seemed to work at being a Sherlock Holmes imitator.  I also thought the mystery was a little easy to solve.  I'll probably read another in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment