Friday, June 5, 2015

The Perennial Killer by Ann Ripley review

This book is part of the Gardening Mystery series.  It features Louise Eldridge, a gardener with a syndicated television show, Gardening with Nature.  In this story, Louise is on location in Colorado.  While scouting out locations, she, her resource person, Ann, and her video cameraman,Pete, discover the body of Jimmy Porter, an older rancher, on his ranch, with his head blown off by a shotgun blast.

Jimmy had been about to sell his ranch to a government conservation program, which was going to make a lot of his friends, family and developers very unhappy.  This made for a long list of possible suspects.  Louise, in spite of misgivings, ends up investigating the murder, aggravating the local authorities. 

I didn't really care for this story.  It is the second in the series I've read, and I didn't like the first one I read, either, but wanted to give the author another chance.  Between chapters there are mini-chapters with information on plants and gardening, which I find distracting.  I also found the story to move very slowly, and I never really started caring about the main character, even though there are parts where her personal life and problems are shown. 

I'm not going to read anymore in this series.

This was part of my Mt. TBR reading challenge.  This is the 14th out of 48 books I've committed to reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment