Wednesday, February 12, 2014

High Midnight by Stuart Kaminsky review

This is the sixth in the Toby Peters mystery series, published in 1981.  I've read several of the others and enjoyed them, and while I also enjoyed this one, I found it to be a little less enjoyable than many of the others.  It seemed to move a little slower, and there were characters that didn't seem to really belong in the story.

This one featured Gary Cooper, and had appearances by Babe Ruth and Ernest Hemingway to add to the story.  Added to the celebrity characters were several gangsters to make Toby's life a little more interesting.

The plot was interesting, and I find that the various bits of 1940s trivia adds to the feel of the story.  I also like Kaminsky's portrayal of both Gary Cooper and Babe Ruth.  I'm not sure about Ernest Hemingway's portrayal, it seems a little bit less real somehow.

This counts towards my Mt. TBR Reading Challenge.
Also counts for the 2014 Vintage BINGO challenge Silver--E--Book with time in title
And for the 2014 Color Coded Challenge Shades of Blue

2 comments:

  1. I've only read one Kaminsky book (back before my blogging days--so I don't have a good review of it). I've got another waiting for me on my endless TBR stack....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had read 2 or maybe three of the Toby Peters mysteries, and enjoyed them. Then Amazon had them all available on Kindle for a really cheap price just before Christmas, and I bought them all. My plan is to go through the series in order.

    ReplyDelete