Saturday, February 15, 2014

In The Heat Of The Night by John Ball review

This book was published in 1965, and a movie and television series was based on it.  I'd seen some of the television series, and enjoyed it, so when I found this book I wanted to read it and compare it with the series.

Wow, totally not the same.  There are some of the same characters--at least with the same names, but different personalities and values.  And the book takes place in Wells, South Carolina, while the T.V. program takes place in Sparta, Mississippi, and represents the attitudes of the 1980s more than the 1960s.

I think the book more accurately portrays the 1960s in the South, and the relationships and attitudes of a lot of the Southern people.  I found the book to have characterizations that were believable, the plot was interesting, and the various actions and reactions were realistic.

I also enjoyed the mystery and its solution.  I also thought the comments and actions of Virgil Tibbs were well thought out, and added to the overall feel of the story.

I will be reading more books by John Ball, and In The Heat Of The Night will be one of the books I will re-read in the future.

This counts towards  2014 Vintage BINGO Silver--L --Book that has been made into a movie.
It also is part of my 2014 Mt. TBR Reading Challenge.


2 comments:

  1. Glad to read your review of this one. It appears on so many "Best of" lists, but I haven't yet gotten around to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised it was so different from the TV show. An now I have to find time so I can watch the movie that was made, and see how it compares to the book and to the TV show. It's on my to-do list, but not at the top.

    ReplyDelete