Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Nature of the Game by James Grady review

This was originally published in 1991 as River of Darkness, but, as the author said in his preface, the perfect name (The Nature of the Game) occurred to him immediately afterwards, so when it was published in 2011 as an e-book, the name was changed.

The book was very interesting, exploring the complex politics of the CIA during the 1960s through 1990.  It seems to be well researched and well written.

I started reading it in early December, but almost immediately put it aside to read when I knew I'd have more time to concentrate on it.  After the holidays, I picked it up again, and found it to be a little confusing, so started reading all over again.

I still found it a little confusing, the story moving between three characters.  However, it was interesting and showed a lot of behind the scenes workings of the CIA, the concern for being reported on, the fear of secrets being revealed and the paranoia that results.

I would recommend this to anyone who is interested in the Vietnam era time frame, the CIA overt operations, or a really good read, but be prepared to pay attention to what is going on!


This is from my TBR pile and the Mt. TBR Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment