Saturday, February 8, 2014

The Yellow Room by Mary Roberts Rinehart review

This is the first mystery I've read by Mary Roberts Rinehart, but I will be looking for more.  This was published in 1945, and takes place during WWII.  The main character, Carol Spencer, is asked by her mother to open their summer house in Maine, when her maid discovers the charred remains of a woman in the upstairs linen closet.  A former federal agent, Greg, is staying nearby while recuperating from injuries suffered in the war, and involves himself in solving the crime, with a lot of help from Carol.

I liked that Carol is bright, and not afraid to show her intelligence during the investigation.  I also enjoyed the mystery itself, which is intermingled with the romance developing between Greg and Carol.

I will be reading more my Mary Roberts Rinehart.  I hope they are all as enjoyable as this was.



This book qualifies for a couple of challenges. 
The 2014 Mount TBR Challenge, the 2014 Cruisin'  Thru the Cozies Challenge & the 2014 Vintage Mystery BINGO Challenge--Gold--G  Book with a color in the title.  Also the 2014 Color Coded Challenge--#3. A Book with Yellow in the title.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this one too, when I read it several months ago. If you want to read more of Rinehart, look for her first book - "The Circular Staircase," which first appeared in 1908. It's a good mystery, with considerable humor, and it really helped define what later came to be called the "Had I But Known" school (and I do NOT mean that as an insult). Her opening sentence will give you some feel for it: “This is the story of how a middle-aged spinster lost her mind, deserted her domestic gods in the city, took a furnished house for the summer out of town, and found herself involved in one of those mysterious crimes that keep our newspapers and detective agencies happy and prosperous.” I know there are inexpensive copies - probably free, too, since I believe that it's out of copyright.

    Les Blatt
    www.classicmysteries.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a good one to read. I'll have to find it! Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rinehart is a recent find of mine as well--brought to my attention by a fellow blogger. This is one of her really good ones (but then most of them are...). Glad to see you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete