Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Amateur Corpse by Simon Brett review

This is one of the early books in the Charles Paris series by Simon Brett, the fourth in the series.  It was published in 1976. 

Charles is asked to critique an amateur production, as a favor to a friend.  Shortly thereafter, the friend's much younger second wife is found murdered.  Charles becomes involved in solving the crime to keep his friend from being convicted of the murder, which is made more difficult because his friend, Hugo, has already confessed to the murder.  Hugo feels he must of done the murder, as he was too drunk to remember what had happened.

I found the characters to be interesting and believable, and it was difficult to determine the murderer, even with the many clues Charles discovers--several were red herrings, and took me in (as they did Charles for a while).

Very enjoyable book, looking forward to others in the series. In fact, I've enjoyed books in several of Simon Brett's series, and he's become one of my favorite authors.





This is a book in my 2014 Vintage Mystery BINGO Challenge--Silver--E--Set in England.

2 comments:

  1. I read this one back just before I started blogging so I don't have a review to look back on or even a real feel for what I thought of it. I do know that I've enjoyed Brett's work enough to keep buying him up every time I find one of his books... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you and I have very similar tastes when it comes to books, Bev!

    ReplyDelete