Tuesday, September 2, 2014

The Cat Who Could Read Backwards by Lilian Jackson Braun review


This is the first in the "Cat Who..." series by Braun.  It was first published in 1966.  Many years ago I remember reading one of the later books in the series, and enjoyed it.  I really don't know why it took me so long to read another.

This book introduces Jim Qwilleran, who formerly had been an ace newspaper reporter, but due to drink had lost many of his reporting jobs.  After cleaning up, he is trying to re-establish himself in the newspaper business.  He takes a job on a small paper, assigned to covering the art beat, although he knows nothing about art.

He ends up finding the dead body of an art critic, and gets involved in the investigation as he is reassigned to covering the crime.  He also befriends the victims cat, who has a talent for reading newspaper headlines.

I enjoyed reading this story, although it seems really dated.  The characters are well presented and interesting, and I find the interaction between KoKo and Qwilleran enjoyable.

As I have acquired many of the books in the series, I will be reading more in the future!


Part of my 2014 Vintage Mystery BINGO Challenge--Silver--R--Book with animal in title.

No comments:

Post a Comment