Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Pietr the Latvian by Georges Simenon review

This was first published in 1930, as Pietr-le-Letton, in French.  This is the first in the Inspector Maigret series.  Somehow, I have managed not to read any of the books in this series until now, although I've meant to for several years.

The story takes place in France,and introduces Inspector Maigret.  He is a large, quiet man, who is persistent in his pursuit of Pietr.  There are several deaths that are caused by Pietr, and Maigret means to bring him to justice.

I felt the story dragged a little, and the attitudes of Maigret and others in the story were very out of date compared to attitudes of today.  There were spots in the book which I found really boring and it seemed to move so slowly while Maigret tried to figure out exactly who Pietr was.

However, keeping in mind when it was written, and that it was the first in the series, I will probably try another of the Inspector Maigret books.

This is part of my 2014 Vintage Mystery BINGO Challenge--Golden--E--Translated Work
It is also part of my Around the World in 12 books Challenge--France (Europe)

No comments:

Post a Comment