Friday, November 14, 2014

Brief reviews of several books I've read

While I've joined several challenges this year, the following books don't fulfill any of their requirements, so I'm just going to hit the highlights so I can keep track of the books I've already read!

Dude on Arrival by J. S. Borthwick, published 1992.  This is a Christmas mystery, taking place at a dude ranch over the Christmas holidays.  Sarah Deane and her boyfriend, Dr. Alex McKenzie, are invited to join Sarah's Aunt Julia at the dude ranch she has been visiting since before Thanksgiving.  Living in Maine, with the snow and cold weather, makes Arizona sound warm and inviting.  Aunt Julia also mentions that they can help reveal who is pulling pranks around the ranch, and get them to stop.
Before the holidays are over, there is a murder, and the group get involved in crime.  I thought the book was okay, and if I was given another in the series I'd read it, but I don't think I'm going to be searching for any more.

Death of a Political Plant by Ann Ripley, published 1998.  This story is part of a Gardening Mystery series.  Louise Eldridge has a TV gardening show, and is a minor celebrity in the Washington, D.C., area.  She is wooed by politicians to endorse them, which she is trying to avoid.  She also is visited by an old friend from her college days, who is an investigative reporter looking for a place to hideout while writing an expose.  The story had some interesting information about gardening, and the plot was interesting, but for some reason, it just didn't really draw me in.  I had to force myself to finish it, because I just didn't seem to care who did what.

The Body in the Cornflakes by K.K. Beck, published 1992.  Ted is the manager of a grocery store, who has to deal with the odd members of the family that own the store, the employees of the store, and the customers.  He is trying to set up the store's Grand Re-Opening, and then a body shows up.  This is a fairly light read, interesting to a point, easy to follow.  I'd probably read more by the author, but wouldn't go out of my way to look for more books.


No comments:

Post a Comment