Thursday, November 6, 2014

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie review

First published in 1934, this novel features Hercule Poirot, Agatha Christie's Belgium detective.  While in Istanbul, Poirot receives a telegram which causes him to make arrangements to take the Orient Express train to get back to London.  With the help of a friend, M. Bouc, he succeeds in getting a reservation on the oddly full train.

The first night he has to spend sharing a coach with another man, but is given his own room for the second night.  That night he is awoken by various activities on the train, including the fact that the train has been stopped by a snowdrift.

The next day, another of the passengers, Mr. Ratchett, is discovered dead, murdered by several stab wounds.  Poirot's friend, M. Bouc, is a director of the train company, requests Poirot's help in solving the murder.

When I was a teenager, I had read this book and didn't particularly enjoy it.  However, when reading it this time (decades later) I actually found that I liked the book.  I'm glad I took the time to re-read it, because apparently my tastes have changed a bit since then!

This is part of my Vintage Mystery BINGO Challenge--Golden--Mode of Transportation.
This is also part of my Read it Again, Sam Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment