Monday, November 17, 2014

The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett review

First published in 1934, it was the last novel Hammett published.  It was the basis of the movie, "The Thin Man", starring Myrna Loy and William Powell.  The movie is one of my favorites, and I put off reading the novel because I was afraid one or the other would suffer by comparison.

However, I was pleasantly surprised to see that they are quite similar, with the movie using dialogue from the novel, and I pictured the scenes from the movie as I read.

The story is about Nick and Nora Charles, who are visiting New York at Christmas time to avoid having to deal with relatives if they stayed home in California.  Before their marriage, Nick had lived in New York and had been a private detective.  One of his old cases had concerned the Waynant family, and while in a bar waiting for his wife, Dorothy Waynant, the daughter of his former client, sees him and introduces herself.


Against his will, this draws him into the Waynant family drama.  Shortly thereafter, there is a murder involving the the family.   Between the police, the newspapers, the family and Nick's shady acquaintances, he is drawn into the investigation.

The book and novel aren't exactly the same, but the "feel" seems to be the same.  I'm glad I finally read this book.

I enjoyed the story, and will be looking for other novels by Dashiell Hammett.

This is part of my Vintage Mystery BINGO Challenge--Golden--L--Man in Title.
This is also part of my Mt. TBR Challenge--I've had this book for years!!

No comments:

Post a Comment