Thursday, May 28, 2015

Blotto, Twinks and the Riddle of the Sphinx by Simon Brett review

This is the first of the Blotto and Twinks series that I have read, although this is the fifth in the series.  While I've enjoyed the other series by Simon Brett, I'm not really sure about this one.

Blotto is supposed to be a young British nobleman, and Twinks is his sister. Blotto is dumb but sporty and popular among his acquaintances, and Twinks is brilliant but somewhat hindered by her upbringing in the aristocracy.  They are broad caricatures of the 1920's British High Society, and the story is a parody of the 1920s British mystery.

There were several amusing incidents in the story, and I enjoyed it to a point.  But it seemed to be a little too much.  Blotto was a little too dumb, Twinks a little too smart, their mother a little too demanding, and the plot a little too complicated.  I think this is a series that I would only enjoy in small doses.  In a year or so, I may make an effort to read another, and see if I feel the same way.

This is part of my Mount TBR reading challenge (bought January, 2014), the seventh review out of the 48 books I've committed to. I'll be reviewing several more over the next few days, as I've read at least 10 or 12 additional books from the TBR pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment