Thursday, May 28, 2015

Murder at the Tokyo Lawn Tennis Club by Robert J. Collins review

This book was published in 1994, and is the first book I've read by this author.  In fact, it is the first time I've ever heard of him.  But this book was in a box lot of mysteries I'd bought a few months ago, and it sounded interesting, so I read it.

I found this story a little hard to follow, mostly because the names of almost everyone was Japanese and unfamiliar to me.  This made it a little hard to keep track of the many various characters, and what their job was and what they'd done.  About halfway through, the characters seemed to jell for me, and it was easier to follow.

The book opens with the murder of the nicest man, who is found dead in the locker room of the Tokyo Lawn Tennis Club, floating in the bath with his head bashed in.  Captain Kawamura of the Azabu Police Station is called to the scene to solve the murder, preferably without ruffling the feathers of the many wealthy people who belong to the club, both Japanese and foreign born.

I found the book to be an interesting view of society in Japan during the 1990s.  I always enjoy learning new things, and I learned a little about Japan while reading.  The mystery was pretty good, too.

This is one of my Mount TBR books from 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment