Thursday, May 28, 2015

Wreath of Deception by Mary Ellen Hughes review

This is the first in the Craft Corner Mystery series.  I hadn't heard of the series before, but it was a free book for my kindle, and sounded pretty interesting as I'm a crafter myself.

Jo McAllister returns to her hometown after years of living in New York.  Her husband had been killed in an explosion, and she was devastated.  With the insurance money, she decides to open a craft shop.  Her longtime friend, Carrie, and Carrie's family, help her get the shop ready.

During the opening day of Jo's Craft Corner, the clown Jo hired, named Cuddles,  is more of a hindrance than a help, complaining about everything and being grumpy.  When Cuddles' dead body is discovered in her shop's store room later that night, murdered by one of her craft tools, Jo becomes a suspect in the crime. 

In fact, it appears that the investigating Police Lieutenant, Russ Morgan, thinks she not only killed Cuddles the Clown, but was also involved in the death of her husband.  Jo is convinced by the ladies in one of her crafting classes that she should investigate and clear her name.  She is assisted by Charlie, her friend Carrie's teenage son.

I thought this was an okay book, not bad, but not one of my favorites.  I'm not sure exactly why. If I come across another book in the series that is free or really cheap, I will probably read it, but I'm not going to make an effort to find any.

This is part of my Mount TBR reading challenge, the book purchased in December 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment