Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Punch with Care by Phoebe Atwood Taylor review



I have gotten so far behind in writing my reviews of books I've read! I actually read this late January/early February while on my way to Texas or while there, visiting my son and grand-kids.  I read a lot down there, but just didn't get around to writing my reviews.  And, of course, I've continued to read over the last couple of months.

This one I at least had made notes for, and I did keep track of many of the books I'd read.  I'm going to make an effort to get at least some of the reviews done over the next few days!

Punch with Care is one of the later Asey Mayo books by Phoebe Atwood Taylor, published in 1946.  Asey is a Cape Cod resident with a lot of common sense, and no pretensions.

In this story, Asey is approached by his friend, Doc Cummings, and asked to help Doc meet Carolyn Barton Boone, President of a local college and activist, a well known celebrity, who is staying locally with a wealthy family.  Doc Cummings has been asked to invite Asey to meet with her, and Doc would like to be included.

On his way to the house, they check out a train in the yard, and discover a dead body--the body of Carolyn Barton Boone.  When they go up to the house, Asey feels that things are a little weird there, and when he goes back to the dead body, it has disappeared.

This is the beginning of an interesting story, with an intriguing mystery, and good descriptions of the time-frame this story took place.  I enjoyed the book, finding the characters different without being cartoon like. 

 This is part of my effort to lessen my Mount TBR reading pile!   This book, along with many others, were in a big box of mysteries I purchased in the summer/fall of 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment