Friday, November 8, 2013

Joker in the Deck by Richard S. Prather review

Joker in the Deck is a mystery, featuring P.I. Shell Scott.  It is one of many Shell Scott mysteries that were written in the 1950s and 1960s.

Shell Scott is a different type of detective for the time frame.  He likes the ladies, and dislikes the bad guys, but through it all his sense of  humor shines through.  He is also loyal to his clients, and has a strong sense of right and wrong.

I've been a fan of Shell Scott since I was a teen, and I also enjoyed this book.  It's not my absolute favorite of the series, but still enjoyable.

I like almost all of the early Shell Scott stories, although I'm not a big fan of the last few Prather wrote as he seemed to get too preachy, and neglected the mystery in the later stories. However, this one, from 1964 is a good read.

But I have to warn you, this was written before Political Correctness came into being, and there are a lot of terms used that wouldn't be found acceptable in today.




This fulfills a requirement in the A to Z Reading Challenge   Title--J
 This also fulfills a requirement in Mt. TBR Reading Challenge


No comments:

Post a Comment