Thursday, November 7, 2013

My Mother Was Nuts by Penny Marshall review

I started reading this expecting an amusing summation of Penny Marshall's life, with an emphasis on her mother, and how her mother created Penny's sense of humor and creativity.  Boy, was I wrong!

There are a few amusing incidents in the book, but I felt my main reaction to the book was boredom.  There is a lot of name dropping, of the celebrities with whom she partied and the men she dated, but over all, it was still mildly boring.

Marshall's mother didn't seem to be a very nice person, and in the book Marshall's father was a boring addition to the family, while Marshall herself did drugs, had sex, and didn't seem to take any responsibility for her own actions. 

I suppose she was honest in her recollections, but my reaction to finishing the book was disappointment.  I expected more--more amusing stories, more reflection on poor choices, more tolerance for the poor choices others in her life had made.



This fulfills a requirement in the Mt. TBR Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment