Monday, November 4, 2013

Stripping Gypsy by Noralee Frankel review

This book has been in my "to be read" pile for a couple of years now, and I'm finally getting around to read it.  Ever since I saw Gypsy Rose Lee on a TV talk show when I was a kid, I've been fascinated by her.  As I remember the show, Gypsy Rose Lee was funny, smart and had a good sense of humor.  This book reinforces what I remembered.

"Stripping Gypsy" seems to be fairly well-researched, and attempts to explain how Gypsy Rose Lee's childhood influenced the adult she became.  She had a difficult childhood, with a mother who suffered from mental illness, and a volatile home life.  Her mother was extremely ambitious and mercenary, and used her daughters in her quest for fame and fortune.

She decided that her older daughter, Louise (who would later become Gypsy Rose Lee), did not have any talent and shunted her off to relatives or school whenever she could.  Her younger daughter, June, was over worked to the point of  collapse.  This affected the two children throughout their lives.
I found this book to be very interesting, and would recommend it.



This fulfills a requirement for the Mt. TBR Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment