Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Reviews of 2 Nancy Atherton Books: 1) Aunt Dimity's Death, 2) Aunt Dimity and the Duke

I'd previously read, sometime in the late 1990s I believe, the first in the Aunt Dimity series--Aunt Dimity's Death, published in 1993. I ran across several other books in the series, and thought I should start over from the beginning so everything was fresh as I read.  As I did the first time I read this, I thought it was interesting, enjoyed the romance, and liked the concept of Lori discovering that the Aunt Dimity her mother told her stories about as she grew up was, in fact, an actual person.  Unfortunately, she discovers this by being told that she is Aunt Dimity's heir.  The story included a mystery, romance, a bit of haunting of her cozy cottage, and of course, Aunt Dimity.

The second in the series was Aunt Dimity and the Duke, published in 1995.  While Aunt Dimity was mentioned, and seemed to be somehow involved in the mystery, she really didn't make much of an appearance.  Lori, who was a main character in  the first book, seems to have been replaced by Emma Porter, who somehow ends up taking a job to restore a garden, instead of the driving tour of England's gardens she had planned  on.  This was a surprise to me, and to begin with, a bit disappointing.  A missing rock star, the near murder of a beautiful but annoying woman, and a missing lantern are all aspects of the story, and there is romance and just a bit of Aunt Dimity, who is mentioned several times in the story.  I was surprised by several of the revelations, and once I got involved in the story line, I enjoyed reading this book.


Aunt Dimity's Death is part of my 2014 Read It Again Sam Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment