Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Spinsters in Jeopardy by Ngaio Marsh review

Published in 1954, it is the seventeenth in the Roderick Alleyn series of books by Ngaio Marsh.  This is the third book by this author that I've read.  The first one, Colour Scheme, was just okay, although I felt the second half was better than the beginning.  The second I read was Enter A Murderer, which I actually enjoyed quite a bit.

This one falls in between those two books, in my opinion.  I liked it a little better than Colour Scheme, but not nearly as much as I liked Enter A Murderer.  I'm really not sure why. 


In this story, Alleyn is sent undercover to France to investigate a drug ring.  His wife, Troy, and son, Ricky, accompany him for a vacation, knowing that Alleyn will have to leave them to fulfill his assignment. 

However, on the train ride en route to their destination, a fellow traveler (an English spinster) has an appendicitis attack, and the Alleyns come to her aid.  The only available doctor is a member of the drug ring, and Alleyn uses this as a way of infiltrating the Chateau where everything takes place.

The story seems to rely a little too heavily on stereotypes, and there seemed to be a lot of coincidences cropping up.


# 28 of 48 in my 2015 Mt. TBR reading challenge.  Bought in 2014, finished June 2, 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment