Sunday, January 19, 2014

A Pint of Murder by Alisa Craig (Charlotte MacLeod) review

This is the first in the Madoc Rhys series, first published in 1980.  Madoc is a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, although he doesn't look like what people typically think of when they think Mountie.  This helps him blend in while doing his investigations.

Janet Wadman, a young woman staying with her brother and family in their old family home while recuperating from a ruptured appendix, is upset when an elderly neighbor lady dies from eating tainted home canned green beans.  While the people around her are convinced old Agatha Treadway had made a fatal mistake while canning, Janet is convinced Agatha had been murdered.

The local sheriff calls on the Mounties for help, and Madoc Rhys is sent undercover to discover the murderer.  While investigating, he finds himself falling for the lovely Janet.

I really enjoyed this book, this is the fourth or fifth time I've read it.  I enjoy the characters, who are a little different and eccentric without being caricatures.  The mystery is interesting, the love story is not overpowering the mystery itself, and I feel it is a delightful cozy mystery.

This counts towards the 2014 Read it Again Sam Reading Challenge.
It also counts for2014 Vintage Mystery BINGO Silver--R--Read one book with a size in Title


1 comment:

  1. This is the only series by Craig (MacLeod) that I haven't tried yet. I enjoy all of hers (particularly the Peter Shandy books)--so I'm sure I'll like these when I get a chance to read them.

    ReplyDelete