Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Howard Hughes Affair by Stuart M. Kaminsky review


The Howard Hughes Affair was first published in 1979, the forth in Stuart Kaminsky's series with Toby Peters, private investigator.  Each book in the series features a celebrity of the 1940s.

In this story, Toby Peters is hired by Howard Hughes to retrieve some missing airplane plans.  Several people had attended a dinner party given by Hughes, and he is sure that one of them is the thief.

I enjoyed reading this mystery, especially the way the author blends the radio programs, food items, and famous personalities of the time, into the descriptions of the activities Toby is involved in.  They all add to the ambiance, along with newspaper stories of the time that are highlighted in the story.

I will be continuing to read the books in this series.  I would recommend this book, in fact, I would recommend the entire series (at least, all of the ones that I have read, so far).

This book fits into several of the challenges I'm attempting this year.
The 2014 Mt. TBR Reading Challenge
The 2014 Vintage Mystery Bingo Silver Challenge--Under L--Read one book with a man in the Title
The Read Around the USA Challenge --California
and the Goodreads Cozy Mystery January2014 mini-challenge --Feast of Fabulous Wild Men (written by a man)  

3 comments:

  1. I enjoy the mysteries that have celebrities in them. I've only read one of Kaminsky's books myself (and it happens to be this one! Unfortunately, it was well before blogging days--so I don't have any notes or much of a memory of it. I also recommend the George Baxt series with celebrities, if you haven't read any of them. Oh--and look at you, two squares on the silver card already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion, I've never read any of the George Baxt series. But first, the rest of the Toby Peters series, which I bought when they went on sale for my Kindle. I also bought some from another of Stuart Kaminsky's series, set in Russia. Hope I like them, too! I can't believe how much reading I've been doing--nothing good on TV, too cold to go out, and nothing pressing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the Baxt books but Kamisky was always my favourite, especially as he was such an expert in Hollywood lore (being a film professor) - thanks for the reminder of these wonderfully entertaining books.

    ReplyDelete