Friday, January 24, 2014

Granny Hooks A Crook by Julie Seedorf review

Granny Hooks a Crook is the first in the Fuchsia, Minnesota mystery series by Julie Seedorf.  I didn't really care much for this book, although I may read the second in the series to see if the writing has improved.  I didn't find it dreadful, just not as good as it could have been.

The story was based on a premise I found a little hard to believe (won't say what it is, don't want to give any thing away).  As I read it, I suspected it was written for children, or young adults, and if that were true, then the fact that a lot of the sentences are extremely brief and the low reading level would be more understandable--but I don't think it was.  I also found the main character to be a little extreme and weird.

I will admit that a lot of the recent books featuring "senior sleuths" have been disappointing to me. My problem is that I don't like reading about caricatures instead of characters.  This story doesn't measure up to some of my favorites--Agatha Christie's Jane Marple and Hercule Poirot, Heron Carvic's Miss Emily D. Seeton, and Dorothy Gilman's Mrs. Emily Pollifax among others.  These are all believable characters who use their skills to solve the mysteries.

I hope that the next one in the series includes a slightly larger vocabulary, and less "senior weirdness".

This is part of my 2014 Cruisin' Thru the Cozies Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment