Saturday, January 4, 2014

The Broadway Murders by Agata Stanford review


 The Broadway Murders is the first in a series featuring Dorothy Parker, and takes place in New York City, during the 1920s.  Dorothy is assisted in her investigations by her friends, Robert Benchley and Alexander (Aleck) Woollcott.   These celebrities, and others, were part of the Algonquin Round Table, a fluid group of people who were intelligent and witty, many involved in journalism or the arts, who met in the dining room of the Algonquin Hotel during this time.

As the first in the series, it was pretty good.  But I might be a little biased because I've always found Dorothy Parker to be interesting.

There are several areas that could have been improved to make it more to my taste, but I still enjoyed the story.  The descriptions that were added to give it the 1920s feel appeared to be a little forced, and there seemed to be a few too many, and that distracted a little from the story line.   I'm looking forward to reading additional books in the series, hoping the areas I felt were lacking will improve.

I read it on my e-reader, and the formatting left a little to be desired, but it was still readable.

This book was in my TBR pile, and is part of my Mt. TBR Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment