Saturday, January 18, 2014

Death Takes A Bow by Richard and Frances Lockridge review

This is one of the early Mr. and Mrs. North series of mysteries, first published in 1943.  While it takes place during WWII, the mystery doesn't hinge on the War, the War references merely add ambiance to the story.

I've read a couple of other Mr. and Mrs. North mysteries, and enjoyed them.  It usually takes me until the end of the book to discover who the murderer is (and occasionally, like in this one) I don't know until they reveal it during the story.

When I read my first Mr. and Mrs. North mystery, I was a little put off by how Mrs. North was presented.  She seemed a little scatter-brained at first, but then as I continued, I realized that she wasn't scatter-brained so much as just comfortable in revealing the conclusions to her thought processes without bothering to actually connect her leaps of logic from A to B to C to D to E, so everyone is aware of A, when she comes up with what everyone thinks is a totally unrelated E, which seems totally logical from her viewpoint, the people around her are confused.

I can relate, because I sometimes do the same thing.  My thought process seems to hop from here to there and then to there, but often the people around me don't make the same connections that I do.  But reading about Mrs. North doing it was a little confusing at first.  Now that I've read several books, I find it delightful.

I won this book from the 2013 Mt. TBR reading challenge, and per the rules I can count it in the
2014 Mt. TBR reading challenge.

It also counts for 2014 Vintage Mystery BINGO  Gold--L--read one book with amateur detective.
It is also added to my 2014 Cruisin' Through the Cozies Challenge.


No comments:

Post a Comment