Tuesday, December 31, 2013

End of 2013

Just thought I'd list a few of the books I read over the last few weeks.

The Clocks by Agatha Christie.   I had read this one several years ago, and had recently purchased it for my Kindle.  I re-read it, and enjoyed it just as much the second time as the first.  While Hercule Poirot is involved, he doesn't really enter the book until well into the story.  Cozy Mystery

My Year With Eleanor by Noelle Hancock.  Noelle gets laid off unexpectedly from a high paying job as an entertainment blogger.  She doesn't know what to do with herself because she can't find another job.  She sees a quote by Eleanor Roosevelt in a coffee shop, and decides to do one thing everyday that scares her.  This book is the result--it contains a description of some of her challenges, intertwined with her personal doubts and trying to live up to Eleanor Roosevelt's ideals.  I found Noelle to be a little self-centered, and the book was just so-so. Memoir

The Camelot Caper by Elizabeth Peters.  Jessica travels to England from America after receiving a letter from her grandfather to come for a visit before it is too late.  Her father had died when she was young, and his family had never been a part of her life.  She discovers she is being followed, and while trying to evade her pursuers she meets David, who happens to be a romance novelist.  He becomes involved with her problems and attempts to help her to reach her grandfather.  I actually enjoyed this story in spite of a couple of things that happened that I found difficult to believe. Not wanting to add spoilers, I won't say exactly what the things were.  Cozy Mystery

While I can't say I've read though the entire book, I've also looked through 4 different cookbooks.

Fix, Freeze, Feast by Kati Neville and Lindsay Tkacsik. This book suggests buying in bulk and then gives you recipes for bulk beef, pork, chicken and other entrees that can be frozen into meals.  It sounds pretty good, although I haven't yet had time to try any of the recipes.  Cookbook

The Smoothie Recipe Book by Rockridge University Press.  Once again, I haven't had time to make any of these recipes, but looking though the book the recipes sound tasty.  They are broken down by categories by chapter.  Cookbook

Fix it and Forget It 5 Ingredient Soup by Phyllis Pellman Goodman.  It looks interesting, but haven't tried any of the recipes yet, but will in the next week or two.  Cookbook

The Slow Cooker Cookbook by Salinas Press.  Sounds good, and there are recipes in many different categories.  Will be trying some over the next couple of weeks.  Cookbook

No comments:

Post a Comment